Monday 9 January 2012

Day 9 - The Day of the Triffids!

Stuck at home today (Monday is house-blessing day!!) so, rather than take a picture of my dusters and polish, I thought I'd get a garden shot. I know this is only a Fatsia Japonica, but as I've just started reading John Wyndham's classic, The Day of the Triffids - and thoroughly enjoying it, I might add - this seemed like an appropriate photo for today.


I'm reading it because it's this month's book of choice for the reading group that meet at my local library. I tried to join it a couple of times before, when we hadn't been in Cullompton very long, but the first book I tried was so abysmal I simply couldn't read past the first few pages; then my long period of depression started to really kick in, so although I enquired about the reading group a couple of times, I never had the energy/incentive/confidence to go.

But ... as one of the things on my "Intentions List" for 2012 is to start trying to get a "life" together again, I think this is a good place to start. At least I'm enjoying the book this time ... what a fantastic opening chapter!

3 comments:

  1. I read The Day of the Triffids when I was 12. My mother sent me off to boarding school with it carefully packed in my trunk! I loved the book, not so keen on fatsia japonica, but the photo's good and I now know what the plant is called!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your expression 'house blessing day', Val - what a great way to make chores sound more enticing! Aren't book clubs great? I've made wonderful friends through joining a book club here, and I'm sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Su, it's also known as "Castor Oil Plant" for some reason! I actually rather like it - its leaves look like outstretched hands to me - but I'm not sure the ones I have are in the best position, they look better in a tropical-style setting.

    Helen, I've never joined a book club yet, but the fun you have at yours, and the one a couple of my nieces attend in Plymouth sound great ... not sure the local library's version will be quite so wine-and-nibbles oriented, but it will be a good way to try and make some friends here. (By the way, "house-blessing" is a FlyLady term ... and yes, blessing your home does sound so much nicer than "housework"!!) :-))

    ReplyDelete