Monday 2 January 2012

Day 2 - Medication Is Not The Only Drug!

There's not much point in feeling pleased with myself for coming through depression without medication, if I then start smoking again!

I actually stopped smoking full-time over two years ago (September 2009) and for a couple of years just "enjoyed" the occasional one or two when with a smoker sister or step-daughter (I didn't really "enjoy" them ... they tasted foul and just reminded me of why I stopped smoking in the first place!). The change came last September (2011) when we went on holiday to Greece and I decided it was "part of the holiday atmosphere" for me to smoke ... I was actually running around the airport trying to find a shop that sold cigarettes, before we'd even got to our resort!!!

So ... I smoked full-on for two weeks and did begin to enjoy it again, meaning it was more difficult to stop when I got home. I kept it down to a pack of 10 at weekends, but knew I would smoke more over Christmas. The pot pictured below was emptied before my son, Pete, arrived on 21st December ... so this represents less than two weeks of smoking!


I smoked the last three from a pack of 10 yesterday morning, and only had a few "whingey" moments last night, wishing I could have one or two with my glass of wine. This morning, I am very glad that I didn't have any with my wine; I'm already feeling like I'm a non-smoker again and glad of it ... although I probably will still have the odd one when with other smokers. However, I will not be buying multiple packets in Greek airports again!!

NB I gave up smoking very easily, simply by reading the book, Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I now have my own copy (I wasn't sure I could give up again so easily, but it seems I can!!) but originally borrowed it from the library. If you want to quit, I'd recommend you give it a go.

11 comments:

  1. i lasted all of 10 minutes this morning because despite smoking my head off yesterday i STILL have some left today and i couldn't bring myself to chuck it in the bin, BUT i have basket full of aids and strategies to help me through to bedtime once this magical, never-ending pouch of tobacco is finally all gone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yuk, Val! My visitors used to leave similar mementos of their stay!
    I know one or two people close to me who could do with Allen Carr's book.
    Good luck with giving it all up. I'm sending strong vibes to that reborn non-smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know val, the continued dependency thing..was just saying that the other day..i have gone cold turkey before but not sure i could do it again, it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult..truth is i will do or use anything to get me through a single day and to stop me climbing the walls..i am a serial stopper..have used everything before too - patches, inhalator, micro tabs, gum, champix but have come to realise that one needs to get into the right mindset to go cold turkey..will just take each day at a time until i get the book..we don't have a library anymore or a book shop now borders have gone, but next time i'm in town i will deffo get a copy..you're not the first person to say how brilliant this book is so it must be

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made the right decision, Val. Good for you. I've never smoked, so of course I don't understand how difficult it is to give up, but I've heard it said that nicotine is one of the most strongly physically addictive drugs there is. So I'm not surprised it's so hard to give up smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're going out today so i will look in smiths..doing ok so far have been cold turkey since 1500hrs yesterday..have decided to try cold turkey route cos i just want it out of my system..my job has given me good practice for keeping calm under stress, the hubby and daughter however are like irritable viscious things this morning..just had to very calmly and assertively tear a strip off them for being perfectly nasty to me for no reason..LOL like being back at work with petulant teens..still it's shut them up and stopped them from bullying me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen - thanks for commenting ... but did it really come across that I had found it hard to give up? I'm sorry if it did ... I found it really easy, on BOTH occasions (the first time was about 30-odd years ago, and I didn't smoke again for 15 years).

    I would be going against the whole premise of Allen Carr's book, if I were to endorse the view that nicotine is so strongly addictive that giving up smoking is hard ... it isn't! Or at least, it wasn't for me! I do enjoy smoking, but I enjoy NOT smoking even more ... so that's the choice I make, most of the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe it's because i have no hormones left (finished menopause 4 years ago) or maybe it's because i'm speaking too soon, but have found today much easier than anticipated, found it utter torture to go cold turkey @ 25 years..a few cravings today, but nothing i couldn't overcome..the hubby on the other hand, i could cheerfully strangle - he's REALLY got one on him! surprise surprise wh smith didn't have the book..they never have anything in that place

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janie, it's quite an "old-ish" book, so a lot of places probably wouldn't stock it now. It's very easy to get through Amazon (love that company!!) or probably direct from the (late) Allen Carr's website. Glad you're doing well ... maybe it's not Salty's time to stop yet? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. they have loads on ebay..just got it for under £4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Angel ... it's a bit tricky at the moment, actually, so I have had a couple tonight. Don't really want to go into it too much (personal stuff) but having the odd one or two might be necessary for a few weeks.

    If my "issues" persist, I'll just read my Allen Carr book again and I'll be fine. I might update here as things get easier xx

    ReplyDelete