Wednesday 4 January 2012

Day 4 - Hanging On In There!

I took a little wander up through my garden today, to find an image that captured how I was feeling ... the result is below. This large, old clump (yes, like me!!) of crocosmia (aka montbretia) was looking tired and frayed around the edges, buffeted and bowed by strong winds ... and yet, still holding on to its roots and refusing to give up its space. It may be lacking its fair-weather beauty and brilliance, but when the storms have passed, it will still be there and - with the sun's warmth and the refreshing summer rains - it will once again flower beautifully and be magnificent! (Just like me!!)


Since we moved to this lovely cottage, a little under three years ago, we have had to fight off three building applications from neighbouring properties ... all of which would have seriously affected our enjoyment of our property. We have been successful every time, but just before Christmas we received another notice of a planning application (almost identical to a previous one) that would, if granted, lose a lot of light from a downstairs window. I have today written a long and detailed objection letter and sent it to the appropriate persons; I am still holding on to my roots and refusing to give up my space ... but am also (like the crocosmia) feeling tired and frayed around the edges, buffeted and bowed by the strong, tenacious forces of the surrounding properties, businesses and landowners.

Please send your strongest vibes to the officers in our local planning department to help them make the RIGHT decision!

3 comments:

  1. At last I know what that plant is called!
    I'm sending the strongest of vibes to your local planning department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong vibes on their way, Val! When you feel tired and frayed about the whole thing, listen to Tom Petty's 'I Won't Back Down', and that'll help you hang on in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Su and Helen! Helen, thanks for the musical inspiration ... unfortunately, once the planning office have made their decision, it makes little difference whether or not I back down! :-/

    I feel I've done my bit now, anyway ... the decision is in their hands, but I've given it my best shot! Thanks for your support, dear ladies xx

    ReplyDelete